September 1 Move-In
On September 1, 2021, students will be moving into Boston’s neighborhoods. Some of you will be moving in, while others will be moving out. Traffic can be difficult during this time; review the information, guidelines, and requirements below to make your experience a positive one.
Before Moving on September 1st
- Between August 25-31, you will need to download and print the September 1 parking pass (see below) for your vehicle to use on September 1. This pass (to be filled out and placed on your dashboard) will be your ONE HOUR parking pass in the Mission Hill and Fenway neighborhoods on 9/1. Not moving to Mission Hill or Fenway? Visit the “Not Moving to Mission Hill or Fenway Neighborhoods?” section.
- Review Northeastern’s requirements for vaccination and submit proof of vaccination by August 15th. View details here.
- Read your lease to understand any move-in requirements and how to retrieve your keys, meet your landlord, and/or know what time you’re able to move in.
- Make a move-in plan with your roommates and discuss your roommate agreement.
- Review our general tips for moving in to ensure you can plan ahead and settle into your new apartment, including downloading the BOS:311 app to report non-emergencies to the city.
On September 1st Move-In Day
Traffic Flow & Parking on September 1st in Mission Hill & Fenway
- Bring your parking pass with you to display on your dashboard if you’re moving into Mission Hill or Fenway. Be sure to fill it out with all required information (name, phone number, time arrived, etc.)
- Boston Police will be directing traffic in Mission Hill and Fenway and some streets will have restricted parking.
- All vehicles will have ONE hour to load and unload on the Mission Hill and Fenway streets. After one hour is up, you must move to overflow parking, which includes North Lot and Columbus Garage for the Fenway area and the Parker Street surface lot and Columbus Garage for the Mission Hill area. To gain entry into North Lot and Columbus Garage, use the off-campus pin code indicated on your parking pass. Note that if you move your car to North Lot, you will only be able to park there for one additional hour.
- North Lot on 9/1: Located on St. Stephens Street. You may park in North Lot for one additional hour, after which you may proceed to Columbus Garage. North Lot closes at 6:00pm on 9/1.
- Columbus Garage on 9/1: Located at 795 Columbus Ave. No hourly limit on 9/1. Columbus Garage closes at 11:00pm on 9/1.
- If you are moving out of your apartment, you will have the same ONE hour limit to load and then move your vehicle. No non-resident vehicles will be permitted to stay parked on the streets during the day on September 1.
- Strict enforcement of the ONE hour policy will be in effect. There will be a zero-tolerance policy for double-parking; violators may be ticketed/towed.
- Avoid bringing oversize vehicles. The only overflow lot available for large vehicles is the Parker Street surface lot. Columbus Garage does not allow moving trucks and has a strict clearance.
Resources Available on September 1st in Mission Hill & Fenway
- Have questions? Volunteers with large signs will be available on the street corners of Mission Hill and Fenway neighborhoods to answer all your questions. You can also email email@example.com with the subject “September 1 Question,” or call 617-373-8480, and we’ll get back to you within the hour between 9:00am and 6:00pm ET!
- Need a hamper to help transport your items? Hampers are only available in the Fenway neighborhood in North Lot on 9/1. They may be borrowed for the day on 9/1 only, and will be available from 8:30 – 5:00pm ET. Ensure you have an ID with you to sign out a hamper.
Not Moving to Mission Hill or Fenway Neighborhoods?
- The parking pass mentioned above only applies for the Mission Hill & Fenway neighborhoods. If you have questions about parking on September 1st in other neighborhoods, visit the City of Boston’s website for tips on the September 1 move-in.
- Have questions? You can email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “September 1 Question,” or call 617-373-8480 on 9/1, and we’ll get back to you within the hour between the hours of 9am-6pm!
Important Tips for New Residents
- Be mindful of neighbors. Not everyone on the street may be moving. Many neighbors are permanent residents with young children and full-time jobs. Do not cross through yards. Keep activity noise level low. Wear your mask at all times while moving-in and outdoors and in building common areas after move-in.
- Properly dispose of your trash. Do not block fire hydrants, sidewalks or alleys.
- Take pictures of your apartment before unpacking to document its condition and any pre-existing damages. Complete your Apartment Condition Form; save a copy and send a copy to your landlord. If any maintenance is needed, put in a maintenance request.
- If you can, introduce yourself to neighbors (while wearing a mask and healthy distancing at 6 feet), and share contact information verbally so you can communicate during the year.
- When moving in, take pictures of everything once you arrive, even before you unpack. This will ensure the condition of the apartment is documented, and will aid you in receiving your full security deposit back at the end of your tenancy.
- If moving out of an apartment, be sure to read your lease for specific move-out instructions. Take pictures of everything when you leave to document the condition of the apartment upon departure. This may affect the security deposit you receive back.
- Read our other general tips for moving out to ensure you follow appropriate guidelines and get your full security deposit back.
Neighborhood Maps for September 1st – coming August 15th, 2021!
- Know the traffic flow, location of overflow lots, and our information tables!
Sign up for our newsletter to receive 2021 parking pass, maps, and September 1st information directly to your inbox!
Get LIVE updates on September 1st!
Is Your Apartment Up to Code?
Your apartment must meet minimum requirements. Review Boston’s required standards in the video below.
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
151 Speare Hall
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
Fall 2021: Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm, or schedule a virtual evening appointment.