- Provide 30 days’ notice to your landlord in writing if your lease is month-to-month.
- Subletting? Use our helpful guide to make sure you are ready to sublet.
- Check your lease for move out date and specifications.
- Conduct a joint inspection with your landlord to determine if any damage occurred and ensure your security deposit will be returned. Consult the Apartment Condition Checklist you completed when moving in.
- Provide your forwarding address for your security deposit. Security deposits must be returned within 30 days after your lease ends.
- Schedule movers and make a storage plan if needed.
- Notify your cable company and electric/gas company about your move out date.
- Complete a Change of Address form with the post office so your mail does not get lost.
- Determine move in date and time of your new apartment.
- Coming back to Boston in the fall? Follow our posts at #NUmoveinSept1 on social media (@NUoffcampus)! We have resources for beyond Boston moves here.
How to Donate Items
ooking to donate your things? Here’s a Simple How-To!
- Get organized. Assess what you have and make sure it’s in decent condition. Clothes should be thoroughly washed before donating.
- Get informed. Find a donation center near you. Drop off items for Northeastern’s Trash2Treasure in Speare Hall during campus move out or donate to these locations in Boston:
- Clothing and Household Items
- Furniture Pick-Up
- Other Resources:
- Get donating. Bring your new or lightly-used things to a donation center near you and invite your friends to do the same!
- Consider recycling options. The City of Boston has information on electronic recycling and clothing/textile recycling too! Not in Boston? Check your local government websites for more tailored info.
Pro tip: Check out Buffalo Exchange where you can turn in certain clothing items for store credit or even some cash!
During Your Move
- Follow trash and recycling guidelines. Download the Boston Trash App or review the City of Boston guidelines.
- Report issues to City of Boston by dialing 3-1-1. You may also report issues via BOS:311 app or tweet @BOS311 for assistance.
- Avoid moving things you don’t need. It’s time consuming and physically demanding. Donate or sell items in good condition.
- Once you move all of your belongings out, take photos of all rooms, including walls and floors, as evidence against any damage claims. A landlord may deduct money from your security deposit for damage beyond ‘normal wear and tear,’ unpaid rent, or if you leave garbage or items behind (excessive cleaning).
Get Your Security Deposit Back
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
151 Speare Hall
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
or schedule a virtual evening appointment.
Director, Off Campus Engagement and Support
Director of Network Housing
Assistant Director of Programming and Education