What is a sublet?
To sublet is to rent your apartment to someone during your own lease term. If you choose to sublease your apartment, you remain on the original lease and continue to be responsible for all lease provisions. You are still responsible for the actions of the sub-lessee, so make sure everyone signs a sublease agreement. The sublease agreement does not replace the original lease, but should provide details of what the sublessor and sublessee are agreeing to.
Some leases prohibit subletting. Check with your landlord first about their requirements or procedures, and get your landlord’s permission in writing before subletting!
I have a room available to sublet, what do I do?
- View our Steps to Sublet above if you have a room to rent (Sub-lessor).
- Check the lease to determine whether subletting is allowed and under what conditions (landlords written permission, sublet fee, etc.)
- You will still be responsible for any rent and damages while the sub-lessee lives there.
- You are not entitled to your security deposit until the lease expires.
- Post your sublet on the Housing Database as listing. In addition, create a roommate profile stating your room will be available soon. Roommate profiles are visible by students at nearby colleges, in addition to Northeastern students.
- Search roommate profiles to see listings from other University students nearby that are in need of housing. Message students directly that you think would be a good fit.
I need a room to sublet, what do I do?
- View our Steps to Sublet above if you need a room to rent (Sub-lessee).
- Use the Housing Database to find a sublet (under the Housing tab, you can filter using the ‘Sublet’ option).
- Create a roommate profile. Roommate profiles are visible by students at nearby colleges, in addition to Northeastern students.
- Make sure your sub-lessor (student currently living in the apartment) has the landlord’s permission in writing to sublet their place.
- Create a sublet agreement contract between yourself and the sub-lessor. This should include move in and move out info, what furniture is included, what utilities must be paid and how, etc.
- Determine if you will pay the sub-lessor or the landlord directly. It’s best to pay the landlord directly.
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
360 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115
Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
or schedule a virtual appointment.